The starting point for the PS1 data archive is at Pan-STARRS1 data archive home page.
Catalog Access Tools
The PanSTARRS catalog is a large database of the objects and measurements of their properties including astrometry, photometry, and morphology. It includes copious metadata including links to the images that were used for the various object measurements. The total database size for the DR2 release is nearly 150 TB.
A simple web form searches the object catalog for objects near a search position.
- The form includes a name resolver allowing positions to be specified using object names recognized by SIMBAD or NED.
- The form can search multiple tables from the catalog, including mean objects, stack objects, and detections. Additional tables will be added in the near future.
- A list of target names or positions can be uploaded to search multiple positions at once. (Currently this is relatively slow, but enhancements coming soon will make it much faster.)
- The user can customize the columns returned from the search and can add additional constraints on the search (e.g., using magnitudes or other columns from the catalogs).
- The search results from this form can be view interactively or downloaded as a comma-separated value file.
- The form has an associated application program interface (API) that can be used for programmatic (scripted) queries to the catalog. The API includes access to all the functionality of the interface, including constraints, selection of columns, etc. It can return the data in various formats including CSV, JSON, VOTables. It also has a metadata query to get a list of the available columns for a particular table.
- See our Python Jupyter notebook for the MAST API for simple examples of how to access the PS1 DR2 catalog via the API.
- Note: The old web form at http://archive.stsci.edu/panstarrs/search.php remains available but can only be used to search the DR1 catalog. It also lacks many of the filtering capabilities of the new interface. We recommend that all users of the old interface switch to the new interface. Eventually the old interface will be retired.
Easy cross-match using catalogs API
- The MAST catalogs interface has a cross-match capability that can be easily used to match lists of source positions. See Easy cross-match with PS1 using a list of source positions for an example.
VO Cone search
- Mean object search http://gsss.stsci.edu/webservices/vo/CatalogSearch.aspx?CAT=PS1dr2OBJECTS&RA=<ra>&DEC=<dec-degrees>&SR=<radius-degrees>
- Detection search http://gsss.stsci.edu/webservices/vo/CatalogSearch.aspx?CAT=PS1dr2DETECTIONS&RA=<ra>&DEC=<dec-degrees>&SR=<radius-degrees>
- A generic description of this multi-catalog service is available at http://gsss.stsci.edu/Software/WebServices.htm.
SQL query interface: MAST CasJobs
- The CasJobs interface (which is familiar to users of SDSS) includes built-in Help along with some sample PS1 queries. It also includes links to SQL tutorials.
- The MAST CasJobs interface also provides access to other catalogs including GALEX, Kepler, and the Hubble Source Catalog.
- Note that CasJobs queries can also be executed from Python. See our Python Jupyter notebook for PS1 CasJobs queries for examples of one approach to accessing CasJobs from Python. Note that this notebook does the same queries as the MAST API notebook, so a comparison between the two may help in understanding the relationship between the two interfaces.
Image Access Tools
PS1 Image Cutout Service
- The PS1 Image Cutout Service provides color images, JPEG and FITS cutouts, an interactive image display, and full FITS image retrievals.
- The image cutout service is programmatically accessible to allow downloading either cutouts or full images via a script. There is a simple Python Jupyter notebook that shows how to download images.
|Data Retrieval Quick Links|
|Catalog and Database Access|
|VO Cone Search|
|Image cutout service||https://ps1images.stsci.edu/cgi-bin/ps1cutouts|